View Single Post
Old
01-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Konk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
48pts in 46 games.

He is having his best production of the season. He will return to a below PPG average imo.

32 goals - 50 assists - 72 points would be my guess.

24pts in 36 games might seems a bit off for some people, but I don't see Paranteau and Moulson staying in the top-30 in the league.
Stat watchers like this guy here don't fully understand the dynamics of Tavares' recent production rate increase.

It is not due to a sudden hot streak, it's due to a shift in his line duties. His hot streak is inline with the addition of Kyle Okposo to his wing and the subtraction of PA Parenteau. With this, Tavares' board/traffic play has received some aid and he hasn't been the only one who can win a puck battle or gain a physical edge on the opponents in the corners -- something PA simply couldn't help him with. Okposo can. In a major way. So now Tavares' focus has shifted to creating more offense instead of winning puck battles, that's what Okposo is for now -- though Tavares can obviously still do this. He also gains another big body who can drive to the net and open up space for him, something PA couldn't do either -- he's much more of a perimeter player.

To put it simply, he's gotten more help and he's able to do more damage. As long as Okposo is there, Tavares has more room to operate and can continue to put points up at a higher pace. It's a hot streak, yes, but his scoring rate won't suddenly go back to how it was playing with Parenteau. Expecting that to happen means you more than likely haven't been paying attention.

With that said, when the hot streak subsides, I still expect him to finish with anywhere from 85-90 points. Parenteau may fall off his scoring pace, but Tavares and Moulson certainly will not.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote