Thread: Kings Article: 2007 draft review
View Single Post
Old
01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
@ Kingsfan, we will just have to put the Cameron thing aside, I think you understand very clearly that the distinction between the two players was not an indication that anyone thinks Hickey is inferior in any way to Cameron as a player. I evaluated Cameron honestly and critically, but I will leave his status and rating/grade to the Calgary writer.

Lewis is a PK guy who generates offensive zone time and he dresses every night. By any objective standard, he would be labeled an NHL player and no worse. By any objective standard, Hickey would be labeled a prospect at best. There is no persuasive argument for Hickey's accomplishments in knocking Lewis's vis-a-vis the ranking system as a result of those facts.

Hickey could be in the NHL theoretically but there is no firm indication that would be if he were in system X or system Y.Where is he outperforming the competition in the AHL so handily? It took a holdout and an injury to put him in the mix with two other guys (Voynov, Muzzin) for a short-term callup and he did not earn that. I don't think there are very many competitive teams that would have him in the lineup, if you are daring me to make an educated guess here. Time will tell if the label was applied prematurely, but there is nothing definitive right now to say that it was.

@Telos, that was a very fair statement however I think saying he could have 100+ games under his belt is a bit lofty. Further, no player is stuck in any situation through "no fault of his own." The Kings have used three different players in the No. 6 role, all of whom have been either offensive or two-way defenseman. That means there were at least three opportunities for him to crack the lineup and that his style of play was not a limitation in doing so. I have also heretofore avoided bringing up the name Davis Drewiskie, so as not to completely irritate anyone.