View Single Post
Old
01-22-2012, 05:15 PM
steve141

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
I fully agree on your point about over-value of longevity, but I think modern players' connection to modern medical practices and better drugs that are not necessarily performance enhancing also contribute greatly to prolonged careers. No one seems to want to speculate on what players that played for the Soviet Union may have been using in light of the Soviets inventing steroids for the purpose of athletic enhancement in the 1950s.
Two points:

1. Considering that performance enhancing drugs have proved to be a big problem in almost any sport that has taken testing seriously, I see no reason to think that NHL players are more noble than representatives from other sports. Since the NHL has much less testing than most other leagues in most other professional sports, I say it's likely that it's actually more prevalent than in many other sports.

2. The view that the sudden success of the Soviet hockey players in the 70s and 80s can partly be explained by performance enhancing drugs is expressed quite often on this board. Given the wide-spread use of performance enhancing drugs among Soviet athletes in other sports this is a reasonable assumption. On the other hand, as more and more records have been made public we have seen that the star athletes in America in the 80s seem to have been using just as much juice as the athletes from the Eastern bloc countries. Again, what reason do we have to think that North American hockey players would be less likely to cheat than Soviet players? Are they somehow more noble?

steve141 is offline   Reply With Quote