View Single Post
Old
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yes.

Again it depends on how you look at it. If you want us to have a player who could take over for Cammy right away with a sideways move... sure. It wasn't actually all that bad from that perspective.

But why are we looking for this kind of return? We gave up the better player in the trade and while we shed a bit of salary and got a 2nd rounder and prospect, in both cases it's questionable whether or not those will even pan out to be NHL players. This was a trade where the principle assets were two veteran players.

Why make this kind of deal? Why not try to make a trade where the principle return is draft picks or good prospects? There's no way that Cammy wasn't worth at least a mid first rounder in return, esp with the clubs that are struggling to make the playoffs. No, you might not get a guy like Bourque in return with that but who cares? We aren't winning anything this year anyway?

Again, there's no long term plan. It's a series of reactive knee jerk moves. That's how we build our team and that's why we are where we are.
I hear ya but I cannot agree with you on the following comments...

(1) "... We gave up the better player in the trade..."

Based on what? The only times Cammalleri outscored Bourque was during two of his contract years - the rest is all Bourque. And besides scoring, Cammalleri did not bring anything of value: no strong backchecking, he stayed in the perimeter, no physicality, questionable attitude… I don't see him as a better player than Bourque.

(2) "... and while we shed a bit of salary..."

3M$ per season is no small change!

(3) "... and got a 2nd rounder and prospect, in both cases it's questionable whether or not those will even pan out to be NHL players..."

True but 2013, according to Timmins, will be a good draft and the Flames are a bad team => we are chatting about a potential 31st to 40th selection here… imo it is a very good pick. As for Holland, he sure is a question mark – I will give you that.

(4) "... Again, there's no long term plan..."

No plan?

Offers a contract to White but not to Pyatt
Signs Cole
Convinced Emelin to cross the ocean
Acquires Eller and Schultz
Acquires Bourque

What about getting bigger while keeping a solid pool of youth? Bournival, CAL 2nd round pick, Palushaj, Eller, Schultz, Holland...

I think Gauthier really built an awful D squad but for the rest, I think he did well.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote