View Single Post
Old
11-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
The whole thing that would make the trade is the stud prospect. Not the second/third round choice.
Burke is 37, but he still has 2-3 years left in the tank. He is in very good physical shape, and when he's on, he can outplay 9.5/10ths of the league... He does not have the drop like CuJo has shown in the past few years..

I would be very surprised if 2 things happen
(1) Burke lasts another full year in Phoenix
(2) That Burke's ticket price is not expensive.

Phoenix woiuld want a young bonafide NHL'er back. (i.e. first rounder Ballard, or Tanguay, etc)

Because Burke is a proven NHL goaltender.
The likelihood of Burke playing 2-3 more seasons when he turns 37 in January is between slim and none IMO.

Besides, the Avs aren't going to have any use for him past this season, they wouldn't exercise the team option on him.

After this season, the Avs are going to go the youth route, likely giving the goaltending reigns to Sauve full time.

So as far as giving up alot in terms of a trade package, you could forget about it, because the Avs aren't going to give up an Alex Tanguay to have Sean Burke for 4 months. That is the height of stupidity.

If Barnett wants to drive a hard bargain, so be it, none of us have any indications that Lacroix is even interested in Burke. If the Avs aren't in the market, where exactly is Barnett going to deal Burke? It isn't a seller's market.

The fact is that if the Avs don't deal for Burke, I'm not sure what team will, if any. So let Barnett attempt to drive a hard bargain, because the likely result in my mind is the loss of Burke with nothing in return in the off season, and Barnett will be one step closer to the exit door in Phoenix for poor asset management.