View Single Post
Old
01-02-2006, 10:04 PM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
But is an insincere "you're right" really a good thing? If you really think you're right (or not wrong) why do that?

No but what you DID say was "Pretty much. I'm really not very "critical" of coaches in hockey. Sure, some are better than others, but this is hockey we're talking about. As much as people might want to think about hockey it in terms of a chess match, it's not football, it's much more dynamic. And yes, I'm aware that there are "systems" in hockey and set pieces and such..." and "Ultimately it's the players that play the game and as such I see them as being responsible for where they are at this point. Sure, Murray plays a part in it for both the good and sometimes the not so good results. But again, for me, it's really on the players".

If those don't translate into "coaches don't have much influence" then this board's first language is German and I'm just not translating it right. I don't think anyone said you said they have ZERO influence...but you don't give AM much credit, so I don't really understand the misconception.
This is what roenick66 said:

All this being said, an NHL coach has ALOT to do with the development of a player and drawing out his skills as a successful NHL player. Tell me KB did Scotty Bowman have nothing to do with Guy Laflauer's development or that of Larry Robinson or Ken Dryden? Or how about the further development of Steve Yzerman into an NHL Stanley Cup winner? To not give some credit to coaches is just irresponsible and shortsighted IMHO.

Nothing to do with & To not give some indicates to me an assertation of ZERO. I never said zero, not once in any of my posts, but it was certainly portrayed as I had claimed zero...

We've moved onto semantics and with that it's clear that it's really time for me to move on now but I'll leave you with this thought. If you talk to players, for the most part, they'll often point to other players as the ones that most helped them in their development...

Last edited by King Blazer: 01-02-2006 at 10:14 PM.