View Single Post
Old
01-23-2012, 10:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I just don't see how one can get around that. The team was invited, the team is being honoured. One guy couldn't put his own political beliefs aside to be part of the team. What if one guy said, "I disagree with the U.S. foreign interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq, so I'm not going to stand for the national anthem." More extreme, but it's still the individual who is choosing to make a statement on a team stage. Next year, what if half the team declines the invitation? What if it was a Russian player?
I'm perfectly okay with bold and, even though it may be unpopular for me to admit this, flag burning and other things. Whether or not I agree with the action, Freedom of Speech is extremely important to me.

Then again, I'm not exactly pleased with America at the moment. I've just discovered that they've started censoring guitar tabs online. I can't even learn a song in the privacy of my own home that someone with far more talent than I have was kind enough to create by ear so that I could play too.

The level of extremes that the American government is going is absurd. So any and all protestation against them right now is very much okay in my book (as long as it doesn't violate any human rights etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Incidentally, you didn't see Chara taking a stand like this. Know why? Separation of Lurch and state.
Haha.