View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 09:08 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* are you suggesting trading wideman and vokoun at the deadline for futures?

* semin is not going to sign a brooks laich contract. i expect another one year deal, but not at a 40% paycut. he has 16pts in his past 16 games. he has 7pts in the 9 non backstrom games. he is +5 in that 9 game stretch as well.

* 1st round picks are great, but very few will have any impact on a playoff team next year. most not the year after.
There are 3 critical pieces that are ? right now regarding how this team will perform in the playoffs. They are Mike Green, Nick Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin. I do realize that goaltending plays a critical role come the playoffs but all I can see is TV stealing perhaps one series for us. Wideman's been okay but given the opportunity to excel in Green's absence, I don't think he has, even if he made the ASG.

Futures yes. The Capitals cupboard is getting bare. A deep draft such as 2012 is just what this team needs to replenish the blood lines. Depending upon how high we draft in the first round, we might see one pick next season however in 2 to 3 years we'll be happy we moved these guys soon.

Regarding next season, free the team of some dead weight (Schultz and Ward) and you'll have some cap space to go after a significant pice or two on July 1.