View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 09:29 AM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
With their first round pick (32) in the 2012 ATD, the Guelph Platers have selected: Joe Sakic, C

Career Highlights:
Triple Gold Club Member
2 time Stanley Cup Champion 1996, 2001
2002 Olympic Gold Medal Winner & Olympic Games Ice Hockey All Star
2004 World Cup Winner
1994 World Championship Winner
1988 World Junior Championship Winner
Captain of the Nordiques/Avalanche 1992 - 2009 (Co-Captain 1991)
Captain of Team Canada - 2006 Olympics
Conn Smythe Trophy Winner 1995-96
Hart Trophy Winner 2001
Lady Byng Trophy Winner 2001
Lester B Pearson Winner 2001
3 Time NHL Post Season 1st All Star

Vitals:
Born: July 7, 1969
Position: C
Height: 5-11
Weight: 195 lbs

Regular Season:

Sakic was a consistent and deadly scorer during the NHL regular season. His longevity as a top scorer is outstanding - he was a 100 point scorer at the age of 20 for the first time and a 100 point scorer for the last time at age 37. (6 times in total)

5 - Top 10 Finishes in Goals: 2, 5, 6, 6, 10
9 - Top 10 Finishes in Assists: 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 8, 9
10 - Top 10 Finishes in Points: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 8, 10

In addition to his offensive prowess, Sakic was noted for his responsible two-way play.

Three times in his career he was top 10 in scoring and top 10 in Selke voting during the same season (Thanks to HO):

Player Season Scoring Selke
Joe Sakic 2000 8 10
Joe Sakic 2001 2 2
Joe Sakic 2002 5 9

In 2001 he was the runner up for both the Art Ross trophy and the Selke trophy while winning the Lady Byng trophy as the most gentlemanly player. Sakic could play 200ft extremely effectively while staying out of the box.

Playoffs:

Sakic lead the NHL playoffs in goals and points twice in his career - both time the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup.

In 1996 he scored 18 goals in 22 games - a record 6 of them game winners - and he was awarded the Conn Smythe trophy as playoff MVP.

Noted for his clutch play, Sakic is the record holder with 8 OT goals in the NHL playoffs and second all time in game winning goals with 19.

Over his career, Sakic is 7th in playoff goals and 7th in playoff points.

Quotations and Perspective:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 96-97
The Finesse Game
In Sakic's first seven seasons in the NHL, he was rightly known as one of the game's best playmakers. It's not a secret that, in the past two seasons, he has become one of the game's best shooters. Now how do you defend against him? Sakic has one of the most explosive first steps in the league. He finds and hits the holes in a hurry, even with the puck, to create his chances. He uses a stick shaft with a little more "whip" in it, and that makes his shots more dangerous. He has one of the best wrist shots and snap shots in the NHL. He has one of the quickest releases in the game. Sakic's most impressive gift is his great patience with the puck. He will hold it until the last minute, when he has drawn the defenders to him and opened up ice, creating--as coaches love to express it--time and space for his linemates. This makes him a gem on the power play, where last season he worked mostly down low and just off the half-boards on the right wing. Sakic can also play the point. Sakic is a scoring threat every time he is on the ice because he can craft a dangerous scoring chance out of a situation that looks innocent. He is lethal trailing the rush. He takes a pass in full stride without slowing, then dekes and shoots before the goalie can even flinch. Sakic is a good face-off man, and if he's tied up he uses his skates to kick the puck free.

The Physical Game
Sakic is not a physical player. He's stronger than he looks, and, like Wayne Gretzky, will spin off his checks when opponents take runs at him. He uses his body to protect the puck when he is carrying deep; you have to go through him to get it away. He will try to keep going through traffic or along the boards with the puck, and often squirts free with it because he is able to maintain control and his balance. He creates turnovers with his quickness and hands, but not by initiating contact. He's remarkably durable. His injury last year (the result of a skate cut) marked the first time since 1991-92 that he missed a significant number of games.

The Intangibles
Sakic is a quiet leader, a soft-spoken guy who doesn't draw much attention to himself. His game does that. He may be one of the most respected players league-wide for his talent, competive nature and class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Stoppers, June 17 1996 by Michael Farber Sports Illustrated
(Patrick) Roy says that someday, when he retires, "I'll be able to say Peter and Joe were the best forwards I ever played with." In 10 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens, during which time he played on two Stanley Cup-winning teams, Roy didn't have a teammate who could shape a game the way Sakic and Forsberg can. Sakic, the captain, has dazzling acceleration and a laser that masquerades as a wrist shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP, Oct 8, 2007 by Brian Cazeneuve, Sports Illustrated
Joe Sakic: At 38 he still has the blinding speed, superb vision, deft passing touch and lethal wrist shot that he displayed as a 19-year-old rookie. Last season he became the second oldest player to have a 100-point season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman
"I was very fortunate to play with and against Joe throughout his amazing career. His humility and the class with which he always conducted himself I greatly admired. He was a great leader and competitor who always played his best hockey at the most important times. Joe possessed one of the quickest and most accurate wrist shots I have witnessed. I believe he retires as one of the greatest clutch players in the history on the NHL."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux
"I always admired Joe's talent and determination as a player, and I was honored to be his teammate when we won a gold medal for Canada in the 2002 Olympics. In addition to his tremendous accomplishments on the ice, Joe also was a first-class person and leader. I want to congratulate him on an exceptional career."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bourque
I had a blast playing in Colorado with Joe Sakic as our captain. I dont think I have played with anybody who has had a better season then he did the year we won the Stanley Cup. He was a true professional and an exceptional athlete, but what I will remember most about him is that he represents one of the classiest people I have been around in all my career."

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote