View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 10:52 AM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think the real question is, do you overpay for Carle's offensive play or spend 1-2 mill less and get a defender that might or might not play as well.

Some UFA's out there are:

Kubina
Gleason
Boychuk
Garrison (might be a 1 year wonder, but dude looks solid)

Others here: http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...D&fa_type_id=2 (EDIT: didnt see GKJ post. Oh well lol)

Yea, I do agree, that if you want the offensive ability, Carle is the best one out there besides Suter. But this is NOT a good thing. This means that teams that want an offensive defender will be willing to pay 6 mil or so for Carle. Honestly, I dont think he is close to worth it. Now if he signs for around the same money as Coburn, I'll be fine with that. Im not a hater of his or a fanboy, but I do agree that the other pickings are slim.

I think it is time to see if they think Gustafsson or even Bourdon are in their future or not. Gus is 23, and Bourdon is 22. It's becoming now or not with this team for them.
The point is, that you quite possibly lose, as others have said, two of our top4 guys in Carle and Pronger. Not only top4 guys but our best pairing in the last few years.
I look at the D without Carle and have to wonder where's the offense going to come from?
Timonen will be there, yes. But for how long?
Gustaffson can do the job, but he's far from Carle's level and I'd have a problem with putting him into such a vital role to early.

Worst case scenario is that we lose Carle and don't get Suter.

Timonen-Coburn
Mez-Gustaffson
Bourdon-Lilja/FA

Even if you add a guy like Gleason (who won't be cheap either), Gill or someone like that, you don't get offense from those guys.
This would be horrible.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote