View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
null33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
CBA guys, I have a Q.

Does the NTC carry over if traded? I thought I recalled someone saying that if a player is traded the clause goes away, even if traded before the clause would have kicked in. Someone had mentioned this in regards to Richards and said the NTC was up to the team that traded for him to honor or not. Anyone know for sure (not speculating) what the case is?

Quote:
11.8(a) The SPC of any player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the player is traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.
Via HFBoards excellent summary of the CBA.

Hadn't considered that angle. Depending on what Columbus did when they traded for him, Carter may not, in fact, start enjoying his NTC this summer.

Maybe Richards won't be, either.

That clause is a tough one from the player's POV. One would assume the PA would be looking at eliminating that language during this summer's CBA negotiations.