View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Goligoski's production on the PP has always been good though, he was our best point producer on it last year and had he remained on Pittsburgh he would have been their best. Surely he's not performed quite up to task this year, but I'd suggest that there is not a single player on the Stars who has done a good job on the PP. I really question how much time and space Goligoski has to actually make anything happen when they pass it around so slowly out there and nobody is moving their feet.

I'm much more willing to bet that if the Stars put a half decent system in place (and some half decent players around him) that Goligoski would shine on the PP again rather than the idea that he's somehow lost all his previous ability on the man advantage in the space of one off-season.
Nobody can argue that Goligoski played balls out after the trade last year. He was a shot in the arm and looked really good creating offense. But there is a problem with putting too much stock into what could have amounted to a hot streak. I see a lot of people saying things like "when he gets back to his form from last year" and I have a problem with that. That's like saying Benn needs to get back to the form he showed while Richards was injured. Now, on an everyday basis Benn is a hell of a lot closer to that form than Goligoski is to his time post-trade form of a year ago. Still, both may prove to be unlikely to happen on a consistent basis.

You noted the problem that nobody on the PP moves their feet. Neither does Goligoski though. It's not that he can't be a solid offensive player on the PP but when I watch him he lacks that take charge identity that most PP QB's have. I don't know if that can be learned because it seems to be more of a result of one's personality. Guys like Lubo Visnovsky know what the hell it is they want to do out there and they get players to dance with them. Goligoski hasn't shown that he can get others on the PP to read his intentions and react accordingly. The idea that you need an alpha dog to run a PP is part of my reasoning for wanting to get an extended look at Benn on the point.

At the end of the day this isn't a terrible contract. It's definitely a win for the player though. Here's to hoping management can put more competitive pieces around him.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote