View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
tv14

vCash: 500
EDM - ANA Pronger Trade

Edmonton Oilers traded Chris Pronger to the Anaheim Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, a 1st round selection in 2007, a conditional 1st round selection and a 2nd round selection in 2008.

So now that almost 5 years has past. We can look over this.

ANA
Pronger

EDM
Ladislav Smid
Joffrey Lupul (traded) -> Joni Pitkanen (traded) -> Erik Cole (traded) -> Patrick O'Sullivan (traded) -> Jim Vandermeer (not resigned)
1st 2007 -> Riley Nash (traded) -> Martin Marincin
1st 2008 -> Jordan Eberle
2nd 2008 -> traded to NYI for EDM own pick used to offersheet Penner.

So in summary the trade turned out to be Pronger for Smid, Eberle, Marincin (+/- some minor pieces I'm sure I'm forgetting)

The trade obviously was a win for Anaheim getting a top dman and ultimately the cup.

What about Edmonton? They were forced to trade Pronger after he demanded out, and I think now the return is looking pretty good. They ended up getting Smid a very good shut down dman, Eberle who is one of the best young players in the game and Marincin a very good prospect. However, it would have been better for them if they hadn't turned Lupul into nothing. But, the Oilers are very lucky this trade perfectly aligned with their current rebuild.

My Question is whats your opinion on the trade now that we know what most of the pieces are? Ducks win, Oilers lose. Oilers win, Ducks lose. Or win-win for both teams.

Last edited by tv14: 01-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.
tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote