View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
I agree, but remember the "open market" for him is basically a California team. SJ would obviously be the frontrunner because it gets him in the same house as his family. LA/ANA could make cases in that its a quick flight to SJ that allows him to spend off days with his family. Although LA traded him to Detroit, so less likely there. I know we traded him to Boston, but again, this is about his family. I honestly think he's going to make it to SJ, assuming 1) DW wants him 2) He signs for the right price.

The comfort in knowing he can't be traded away from his family is probably worth more to him than an extra $1mil/year, so I think a NMC at 3-4 years could get this deal done at a $2.5mm cap hit. With Nitty and White off the books, its totally worth it, even at 3MM
Maybe, but the question is whether his desire to be with his family here in Cali is worth taking a significant pay cut. If he gets a good offer somewhere he might be able to convince the family to move for a few years until he retires. $1 mil or more a year makes a BIG difference in future earnings if he's being even halfway smart about investing it.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote