Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Andreas Engqvist sent down (Feb. 1)
View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
For all the draft picks given up... he also added

A former first rounder in Eller
A former 2nd rounder in Palushaj
Two former 3rd rounders in Shultz and Bournival.

But people don't talk about these when we talk bout all the draft picks traded away.

They also seem to conviently forget how Diaz and Desharnais are both important parts of the team who were undrafted and signed.

Engqvist is another undrafted player who was brought in.

But its okay... doesn't fit with the narrative that management is ruinning the future.
Don't forget that even if we had retained the draft picks under Gauthier's tenure, they would probably be too young to even be in the AHL right now so it's a moot point.(Gauthier's first draft year was the Tinordi one, everyone in there is still more or less too young or would be too young or not seasoned enough to even be in the ahl).

If you want to argue that he's moved prospects, that is also moot unless you want to argue that Maxwell and Trotter are significant pieces that can actually help?

You could take the O'byrne, Lapierre, Sergei and D'agostini route I guess, but these guys weren't prospects as they had several nhl seasons under their belt. He screwed up in the Sergei case, I didn't agree with the Lapierre trade in the sense that he shouldn't have been traded, but he got returns in O'byrne and D'agostini.

Considering that next year we will see Gallagher, Bournival, Ellis, Kristo Tinordi, Bennett and maybe even Beaulieu graduate to the AHL level, I think the habs are doing pretty decent(and I'm being rather tame in my claim here) in the "youth" depth department.

To blame the lack of current AHL depth on "the wasting of picks and prospects" by Gauthier is a gross exaggeration, but like you said, this appears to be the narrative. Those picks are not likely to even be old enough to be in the ahl and Gauthier hasn't moved any significant prospect with the capacity of playing a greater role that "being a body in the lineup".

Habs lack of depth in the ahl is caused by the fact taht Weber, Eller, Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais and White all graduated last year. These guys were all part of the habs top prospects just last year. Like I said, Hamilton will be replenished next year.

Last edited by Andy: 01-24-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote