Thread: Post Game Talk: 3 Stars and GBR: #47 @ Jets
View Single Post
Old
01-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
It has nothing to do with me be unhappy with how Staal has played, or impatience.

It has to do with the fact that if we could really use a top LWer or a RH dman with a big shot. We don't need two LH shutdown defensemen logging 25 minutes a game. We have Girardi & McDonagh as the shutdown pair. Del Zotto logs 20-25 minutes as well. We will have Erixon ready by next year and we don't need 4 LHed dmen. Tortorella is very big on keeping dmen on their natural side if you haven't noticed. If you can turn Staal+Anisimov into a young scoring LWer and a RH offensive dmen, I truly thing it improves the team.

If Del Zotto was a RHD, I would not be saying this. It just has to do with our ridiculous depth on the Left side. One of them is expendable and I'd prefer Del Zotto & McDonagh in the long term because they are younger and could both conceivably better than Staal.

I've posted the possibility of trading him before he returned. I'm not saying SHOP him, I'm not saying TRADE him, but if let's say you can do a deal where you get Pacioretty & Subban for him and a smaller piece, you do it.
Good post. You kind of echo'd the same sentiments that I have for a while now about our defensive core; who we keep or who is considered expendable going forward. If we keep playing well after the all star break and we hold onto one of the top spots as we get closer to the trade deadline, we really need to go for it this year because you never know when an opportunity to compete for a stanley cup will present itself again.

That being said, this team has three significant needs in order to compete:
-a top six forward capable of putting up 30+ goals
-a big physical defenseman
-a defenseman with a big shot from the point to help the pp.

Since it isn't likely we can fill all our needs, I would look to put together a decent package for a top six forward that isn't a rental.

Right now, the only players I would consider as untouchable would be Lundqvist, Stepan, Cally, Richards, McDonagh and Del Zotto. I love Girardi but he would be very attractive to another team in a potential deal because he has a very low cap hit, is still young and is an all star. I don't know how much better he can become as a player where as McDonagh and MDZ are both much younger with far greater upside than him or any of our other defensemen. Of our prospects, I would only classify Kreider as an untouchable and I would only be willing to trade him if it was a one for one deal with someone like the Ducks for Ryan.

It should be interesting to see how things play out in the next few weeks.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote