Old
01-25-2012, 12:23 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
"Terrible Ted" Lindsay aka "Scarface"

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
He was only 5'8" and 160 pounds but could hold his own in fights and in the corners with much larger opponents. But Lindsay was also a gifted offensive player, a natural goal scorer who set records for a left wing and made up one third of Detroit's famous Production Line in the 1940s and 1950s. Nine times he was an All-Star, eight of those selections to the First Team. Such a combination, in such a small, powerful package, hadn't been seen in the National Hockey League before the arrival of Terrible Ted Lindsay, and it hasn't been seen since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lindsay
I had the idea that I should beat up every player I tangled with and nothing ever convinced me it wasn't a good idea.

Points finishes: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 9th
Goals finishes: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 9th
Assist finishes: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 9th

All Star LW for 9 straight seasons:
1st Team All Star in 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957
2nd Team All Star in 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Meeker
I hated that SOB. Right from the very first game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storey, former Referee
He was the leader of the Red Wings every night he went on the ice. Nobody else, he was the motivator, he was the leader, and he was not a big man. He might have been the best left winger of all time, complete. I mean, when you talk about greatness, you have to talk about people who absolutely hate to lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Orr, Journalist
On any list of the greatest left wings to play, Ted Lindsay had to be right at the very top. With his leadership, his determination, his scoring stats, his toughness, his defensive ability, his ability to get under the skin of opponents... He was lucky he didn't have to face a lynch mob of the other players in the league!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hull
Ted Lindsay was one of those guys who was a fiesty, fiesty player on the ice. He gave it 100% all the time, and likely one of the greatest, if not the best left winger of them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie Howe on the success of the Production Line
The reason why we had success - everybody could shoot and score, everybody could carry the puck, and everybody's full intent was, "if I had to hit somebody, I would do so." I didn't find it was fun to hide behind somebody, and all three of us had those particular ingredients, so nobody could concentrate on Ted Lindsay, or Gordie Howe, or Sid Abel, we all did it.
Lindsay was the first player to lift the Cup and skate around the rink with it, starting a great tradition.

"Prior to the third game of (a series) against Toronto, the local paper reported that several fans had issued death threats toward both Lindsay and Howe for an alleged injury to the Leaf's Tod Sloan. The game went on as planned despite the threat of a shooting. After Lindsay scored the game winning goal in overtime, he held his stick like a rifle and pointed it at the crowd taunting the Maple Leaf faithful."
-RedWingsAlumni.com

At the age of 31, Ted Lindsay finished 2nd in NHL scoring and led the league in assists. He was then traded to Chicago for his role in starting the NHLPA. Lindsay tried to play hard, but his heart was still in Detroit. After 3 seasons in Chicago, he retired. 4 years later, he made a one-year comeback with the Wings,and the team finished first in the NHL in the regular season for the first time since before Lindsay left. Lindsay retired for good and the Hall of Fame waived the waiting period.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote