Old
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Discuss all blade related things here.

Question:

Could someone lay out the pros and cons of Curved vs more straight blades- For Instance, while looking at the Easton Blade pattern spread sheet I saw that Derek Roy has an intense curve on his stick. I just purcahsed an Easton Stealth with the Iginla Curve and much to my dismary the curve is a bit more subdued.

What is the advantage of having a more flat, not as sharply curved blade like the Iginla Pattern- Better Slap Shots, Backhands. I guess I'll be sacrificing puck handling?
The names you see on retail curves are there purely for marketing purposes, they have nothing to do with the curves that the players actually use. For example, Crosby's actual curve is a short blade with almost no curve, and almost no loft:

But the retail "Crosby" curve in the Reebok line is just a Sakic/Hall clone, an semi-deep, open mid curve with a touch of toe.

If you want an actual idea of what curves various pro players use, you can check out this website:
http://patterndb.org/main.php?g2_itemId=14

As for the advantages of a deep vs shallow curve, a deeper curve can be nice for general puck control on the forehand, and traditional wrist shots, while a flatter curve is good for general puck control on the backhand, backhand shots, and passing accuracy. What works best for slap and snap shots depends on your technique. You've also got to consider the face of the blade, whether it has a lot of loft or little-to-no loft, in general more loft will help you get the puck up quickly in tight, and helps for saucer passes, but some people have trouble shooting low, stick handling, and receiving passes with very open blades. Also important is the rocker on the bottom of the blade (more rocker means you can use the blade well at a wider variety of distances from your body, but some people prefer to have more blade on the ice with a flatter rocker), the shape of the toe (total personal preference, most people prefer round toes though), and the length of the blade (personal preference). For more detailed info, AIREAYE provided a link to a really detailed post by Jarick that should tell you all you need to know.

If you have no idea what curve to get, a Sakic/Hall curve (or one of its clones, like the Bauer P92, Warrior Kopitar, Rbk Crosby, etc.) is a good place to start, it's the most popular curve on the market, most people find it easy to use for shooting, puck handling and passing.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote