View Single Post
Old
01-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
I'm becoming more and more against a major move at the deadline. We are such a young team. For the next 5+ years, you're looking at......

Wilson-Smith-(Radulov)?
Erat-Legwand-SK
(Any one of Beck, Watson, Latta, Geoffrion, Salomaaki)-Fisher-Hornqvist

Weber-Suter
Josi-Ellis
Klein-Blum
Ekholm-Roussel

Rinne

I don't care who you plug into the last 4 forward slots and backup goalie spot, that is a solid team. I would say, assuming Wilson/Smith/etc. continue to develop as projected, we are a perenial playoff team. Keep in mind, this is not including players like Halischuk/Spailing who could easily be solid players for a long time. This is just our core that we will build around. If revenues keep going up, we can bring in another big piece at forward. This team is built to be a contender not for this year, but for the next while.

Weber and Suter can't go anywhere else, IMO, and be significantly more assured of being a contender for the next, say, 7 years. Philly is close for sure. Boston too. Detroit is getting old, and by the end of the contracts Webs/Sutes sign, Zettberg, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom will be gone.

I may be a homer here, but i look at that core and say Nashville is a contender today and for the next 5 years if they both sign. If they give us 7 years each, I think they bring a cup to Nashville with this group. We can't promise them being the wihtout-a-doubt best team in the league any given year, but we can promise an almost assured playoff spot and a good chance that we have a shot at the cup every year for as long as they stay.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote