View Single Post
Old
01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Not sure if the Blue Jackets will receive the same equivalent package that they dealt to acquire Jeff Carter (Jakub Voracek, a 1st (8th overall) and a 3rd).

If the Kings were to string together a similar package, I would say Bernier is about equal to Voracek, a former 1st round selection who still has some potential to live up to who has had a so-so career thus far. If they insist on another forward, then the next closest option would be Andrei Loktionov.

With Columbus only having given up one roster player and two draft picks for Carter, I imagine a combination of Bernier along with a decent defense prospect or young defenseman from the roster and another roster player (for salary cap reasons) would be fair compensation.

Bernier or Loktionov
One of Martinez, Hickey or Forbort (or LA's 1st in 2012)
One of Penner or Stoll

for

Jeff Carter
Curtis Sanford (to serve as a backup until the end of the season, as he is a UFA this summer. That is if Columbus is interested in Bernier)

That's a trade I'd make any day. I would pair Carter with Kopitar and Brown and have Williams with Richards and hopefully another player at LW acquired at the deadline who could fill a top six role. If Penner is moved as part of a package, then I'd try to move Stoll for another soon to be UFA.

Maybe Kostitsyn. Although I imagine Montreal would ask for more than just Stoll. Ruutu I would love to have but Carolina isn't going to swap him for another rental. They'd be interested in prospects and/or young players who can step in and make an impact, or high draft picks. Perhaps the Kings could make a separate trade with Columbus (as they did in the past to acquire Modin) and acquire Vaclav Prospal for a conditional pick and a B-level prospect.

Prospal is a playmaking LW who can really help out Richards on the second scoring line. Having Brown-Kopitar-Carter as your top line with Prospal-Richards-Williams as your second scoring line will pretty much have the Kings prepared to make a hard push in the playoffs. They're set on defense and in goal and the only other need to address may be depth on the bottom two lines, but filling up the top two lines certainly helps address the issue they have at scoring depth within the top six.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 01-26-2012 at 02:14 AM.