View Single Post
Old
01-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
This.

And might I add that it probably wouldn't be a smart move for these kids.

As much as I love the OHL as a developmental league...if I had a son who was playing hockey and was in the situation you described above...I would advise him to take the NCAA route.

There aren't too many guys who come late to the OHL and end up getting themselves a look from the NHL. More often then not, they end up not getting the playing time and end up back in Tier 2 anyway (at least as an overager).

So you give up a full scholarship, where you have 4 years to grow as a hockey player, to achieve little in the advancement of your 'potential' hockey career. Not only that, but you're getting a smaller window to impress people. A guy like Ralph Cuddemi, he comes to the OHL next year and he's got two years to play in the league...to make an impression on NHL scouts. He goes to school (doesn't have one yet), he gets four years. It's all about maximizing your exposure.
Conversely.....for every player who has a full scholarship offer there probably are 2 other players that thought they did til the day of reckoning comes.
As there are only so many OHL Gold Education packages, there is also only so many full scholarships rides from the NCAA.
Isn't there also a limit by the NCAA on Canadian players on a team also?

As for non-drafted players on OHL rosters, Kitchener had three on their roster this year. Jonathon Jasper (4 yr vet who was traded to Petes,
Brandon Lesway and Stephan Midensky)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote