Velociraptor

vCash: 500
Charlie Conacher, RW

Position: Right Wing
HT/WT: 6'1", 200 lbs, (14" dong)
Handedness: Right
Nickname(s): "The Big Bomber"
Born: December 20, 1909 in Toronto, ON

- inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1961.
- 1-time Stanley Cup Champion (1932)
- 1-time Retroactive Conne Smyth Trophy recipient (1932)
- Played in the NHL All-Star Game 2 times (1934, 1937)
- 3-time member of NHL First All-Star Team (1934, 1935, 1936)
- 2-time member of NHL Second All-Star Team (1932, 1933)
- 2-time NHL Scoring Leader (1934, 1935)
- scored 225 goals and 173 assists for 398 points in 459 games, adding 523 penalty minutes.
- scored 17 goals and 18 assists for 35 points in 49 games, adding 49 penalty minutes.

Top 10 Finishes:
Goals - 5x (1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
Assists - 1x (5)
Points - 5x (1, 1, 3, 4, 4)
Penalty Minutes - 2x (4, 9)

Voting Record:

Hart Voting Record:

2nd (34-35), 4th (35-36)

Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Irvin
But Charlie Conacher was the guy who could score the big goal for you, and he could score in a lot of different ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy, on taking an errant shot from Conacher to the behind
It felt like somebody had turned a blow torch on me. I couldn't sit down for a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy
I never had a finer friend in Toronto than Charlie, he was my protection as a Maple Leaf. I wasn't too big and not too good with my mitts, although I tried to win many a battle. If you got a punch in the chin, you either went down or stood up, shook your head and took it. but Conacher was Toronto's policeman for many years and a great one. He didn't go looking for trouble, but if it came along he would clear it up.
Frank Selke, The Montreal Gazette, Nov. 10, 1962

Quote:
Who was the greatest of them all? I have no hesitation in saying Charlie Conacher, the flashing right winger of the Maple Leafs' famous "Kid Line" of the 30's. He ranks as the greatest all-around athlete I have managed in my 50 years with sport.

I have never known any player and that includes Maurice Richard, Nels Stewart and Gordie Howe - who has reduced the scoring of goals to an exact science as Charlie Conacher.
Quote:
Those who remember will tell you that Charlie always made the right moves going in on a goal; if he failed to score it was only because other teams also had great defensive players and goaltenders.

Conacher was a truly potent scorer but, bevause he tried to make every play a picture-move, he failed to match the goal-scoring skill of Maurice Richard.

Legends of Hockey

Quote:
Charlie Conacher inspired a generation of Leaf players with his hard work and determination.
Quote:
In his time, Charlie "The Big Bomber" Conacher had the hardest shot in hockey, a notorious blast that eluded goaltenders and dented rink boards. As a member of one of the most dangerous lines in hockey history, the Toronto Maple Leafs' Kid Line of the 1930s, right wing Conacher and left wing XXXXXX XXXXXXX were the beneficiaries of center XXX XXXXXXX's slick passes as the threesome found itself near the top of the scoring lists for the better part of a decade.
Quote:
With his linemates' help, Conacher became the best right wing in the game over the next half-decade. He was a daring and explosive scorer who used his size 6'1" and 200 pounds in his heyday - to his advantage. He could beat goalies equally well with his booming shot or with a deft move from close range. Once he got moving, he was famous for bowling over anyone between him and the net - and then often the net itself as he crossed the goal line just a few seconds after the puck.
Quote:
Five times between 1930 and 1936, Conacher either led or tied for the league lead in goal-scoring. He was a Second Team All-Star in his second and third years in the league and a First Team selection for three consecutive seasons beginning in 1933-34. He also helped the Leafs win the Stanley Cup in 1932.

Conacher's style of play - which featured all-out attacks - didn't lend itself to a long career and injuries began to wear the big man down. After nine years with Toronto, he was sold to the Detroit Red Wings, where he played for one year before moving to the New York Americans for two seasons.
Quote:
Dubbed 'The Big Bomber' for his booming shot, Charlie terrorized opposing netminders and, in the process, scored a league-best 31 goals in 1930-31, yet another season hampered by injury.
Greatest Hockey Legends

Quote:
Charlie Conacher was the Bobby Hull of hockey before Bobby Hull ever came along.

Conacher was big and strong, with a shot that was feared by goaltenders everywhere in the NHL.
Quote:
A member of a famous athletic family, he played 12 seasons in the league. While brother XXXXXX gets to most acclaim as the best athlete, it was Charlie who gets the nod as the best hockey player. The five time All Star and two time Art Ross winner is considered one of the greatest right wingers of any era.

Conacher's hands were useful for more than just fighting. The sharpshooter who fired bullets from his stick scored 225 goals, and led the league in goals scored five times in a span of 6 years. Conacher played nine seasons with Toronto.
Who's Who in Hockey

Quote:
There are those who insist even today that Charlie Conacher was the most exciting player they have ever seen and that his shot was the hardest of its day, when slap shots were unheard of and a player beat a goaltender with a quick snap of his wrist.

... Charlie went on to become one of the most dynamic NHL forwards.
Total NHL

Quote:
The Kid Line of Charlie Conacher, XXX XXXXXXX and XXXXXX XXXXXXX lifted the Maple Leafs to great heights in the 1930's.
Quote:
XXX XXXXXXX, XXXXXX XXXXXXX and Charlie Conacher emerged as full-fledged superstars.
Hockeycentral

Quote:
Bill Cook was rivaled only by Charlie Conacher as the NHL's most dangerous scorer.
YorkRegion Article

Quote:
...who graced the ice with the likes of franchise legends Charlie Conacher and Joe Primeau.
The Toronto Star

Quote:
Conacher made a splendid impression in his pro debut and was one of the best men on the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gaston
he was just like a tank. Chuck was big and strong – not many guys would mess with him.
The Montreal Gazette, Jan. 3, 1968

Quote:
He's gone now, but his memory will live as long as the National Hockey League keeps records because he holds a number of them.
Globe and Mail, Friday, Mar. 22, 1935

Quote:
Bill Cook is asked to personally select his all-time team. He chooses XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX, Eddie Shore, XXXXX XXXXXXX, XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXX XXXXXXX and Charlie Conacher. A writer criticizes the team for being too biased in favour of modern players.
Globe and Mail, Wednesday, Apr. 17, 1935

Quote:
Shore narrowly beats Charlie Conacher and XXX XXXXXXX for the Hart.
Ed Fitkin, The Greenhouse Gang of Hockey

Quote:
What amazed the veterans was the fact that 20-year-iold Conacher not only could take it but he could dish it out, as well. They began to treat him with a respect seldom before afforded a newcomer

Last edited by Velociraptor: 03-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote