View Single Post
Old
01-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Epsilon - Do you have an awesome liquor store to buy beer at by you, or do you buy a lot online?
I don't buy online, but there's not exactly an "awesome" local store. Here's the rundown:

-In Florence where I live, we have a decent local shop (Micky Finn's) that carries a modest but good quality selection of six-packs and bombers, plus has a 6-tap growler fill station. There's also a grocery store (Harris Teeter) with a decent selection of microbrews (and the bonus there is everything is chilled so it's a good place to grab something at the spur of the moment or on the way to a party, at Micky Finn's only a limited selection of stuff is available cold).

-Florence has one really mediocre local brewpub. Their own beers are freaking awful (all of them are done to suit a lowest-common-denominator pallet, and taste like colored water) but they do have a 12 tap "guest tap" rotation that gets stocked with some really good beers, and their happy hour special ($1 off pints from 4-7) is a good after-work hit up.

-In Columbia, which is about an hour and a half away, there are several good shops, the best being Green's. There are two locations, the one off the freeway is really good with an 8-tap growler station and tons of good bottles; the other is close to the university and so carries a lot more crap beer (but also has a Belgian room). There's also a Total Wine in one of the major shopping areas with a very good selection.

-Occasionally I go to Charlotte and there are some really good spots there. I'm going to start getting into home brewing soon and some of my friends frequently make trips to Charlotte to hit up a brew supply store, then go shopping for beers as well, so I'll be partaking in those outings.

You being in Atlanta, I'm jealous of how much stuff there is locally (at least according to Beer Advocate), both in terms of shops and brewpubs (that place 5 Seasons or whatever it's called that you mentioned to me in the other thread). Plus if you want to drive to Athens there's that place 5 Points Bottle Shop that has something like 1500 different beers available.