View Single Post
Old
01-26-2012, 10:38 PM
shawn1331

vCash: 500
Don't worry buddy, I've been playing hockey since I was 9 and I'm 16 now. Every time I hit the ice I learn something new in my skating, whether it's tighter turns or a more powerful push. It will take you a year or 2 to be able to skate decently and do everything you want to (ie. Crossovers, backwards, pivots etc.) But just know that they are learning to. Even guys in the NHL can improve so in 10 years you will have learned alot of skating but it may not take you 10 years to learn all the fundamentals. After 2 I'd say you will know the basics and in 10 years you will have had tons of time honing the skills.

When you get comfortable on your skates join Scary Mary's skating school. She's right around where you are(I'm in Oshawa). I really wish I had of done this earlier. She will get you better conditioned and teach you how to skate "properly" as well as how to generate the most power out of your stride.

Another thing is to skate on ponds as much as you can. Ponds tend to be fairly uneven so it makes skating a bit periless, especially with a puck. They are usually a bit bumpy and have a few pressure cracks in them so if you can skate like the wind on those imagine what you can skate like on perfect ice.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote