: Line Combos:
View Single Post
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Join Date: Jul 2005
It is likely that we will be sellers as the season comes to an end. I do not believe that we are as bad as our record. We have been hampered by injuries and bad management/coaching this season. Our guys have started to turn the corner and we can identify the kind of team we want going forward. That being said, I think management has realized that we are heading down the wrong path.
I am going to make some unpopular proposals. I love Carey Price and Tomas Plekanec. Up until about a week ago they were untouchable to me. But they are also two of the most attractive players we have. I do not believe we can win a cup with Plekanec as our number one centre. Perhaps as a #2 we could, but then how do we get that top line centre? Only chance is through the draft or a trade involving Price. I think Price could actually yield an overpayment by a team with long standing goaltending issues. Columbus, NYI, Edmonton, and TB....what a coincidence, they are all in the running for a lottery pick with us.
Plan Before Trade Deadline:
1) Trade Carey Price to Columbus for 1st overall + prospect (Jenner?).
2) Trade Tomas Plekanec, plus, plus for big scoring centre a la Staal/Getzlaf.
3) Trade Kostitsyn for late 1st or 2nd pick.
4) Trade Moen for a late 2nd or 3rd.
5) Trade Gill for a 3rd or 4th.
6) Trade Kaberle for best possible pick.
7) Trade Campoli for best possible pick.
8) Trade or Bury Gomez (find a way).
9) Tank Tank Tank.
Plan at the Draft:
Pick 1 (from Price trade) - Yakupov, Grigorenko
Pick 5 (our pick) - Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, Murray
Pick 28 (from Kostitsyn trade) - Malcolm Subban
Pick 35 (our pick)
Pick 60 (from Moen trade)
Pick 65 (our pick)
Pick 85 (from Gill trade)
Pick 87 (from Kaberle trade)
Pick 95 (our pick)
Pick 155 (our pick)
Plan in the Offseason:
1) Sign a solid UFA goalie while Malcolm Subban develops (2 to 4 years) like Vokoun, Harding, Gustaffson, etc.
2) Sign a top tier defenseman like Suter. If we can't get him then make sure we get someone with some grit to their game like Tim Gleason.
3) Try to get Kostitsyn back as a UFA or go for a similar player like Ruutu. If this fails, use Leblanc, Palushaj or our 5th overall pick on the wing.
4) Sign a centre who isn't afraid to throw down for the 4th line and can win faceoffs, like Gaustad.
5) Sign Subban to a long term (yet tradeable) contract.
6) Re-sign RFAs Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Blunden, White, Pacioretty.
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Nail Yakupov ($1.200m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.200m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Ryan White ($0.625m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.600m) / Mike Blunden ($0.615m)
Andreas Engqvist ($0.900m) / Aaron Palushaj ($0.883m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.750m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($3.750m)
Alexei Emelin ($1.200m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.300m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Josh Harding ($3.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,481,666; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $818,334
Plan During Season:
Let Desharnais continue to increase his value and then trade him. Let Leblanc take over as #3 centre and move Eller to #2 centre. Or possibly let one of our top picks take over one of those spots.
All of a sudden we are young, gritty and talented. We definitely have a downgrade at goalie but I think we can overcome this with our lineup and we have always been good at finding goaltenders.
I know we all fall in love with players and call them untouchables, but it's time to start building this team for the current NHL. It is a game where youth, speed and size are paramount.
Can we make all the deals that I have suggested? Probably not...
Have I over valued the return on some guys? Probably...
Is it possible that this doesn't work and we are in the same spot next season? Maybe...
but if that is the case then we sell again next year. I am willing to miss the playoffs again next year if it means we can turn this franchise around in the long run. I can't see us missing the playoffs in 2013-14 if we do something like this and that season we will have some older players with expiring contracts and prospects coming into their peaks and ready to break into the league. 2013-14 is the season that we become a team to contend with for a long time.
Now......who to hire to orchestrate this thing?
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by HabsSlappy