View Single Post
Old
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think it's idiotic to look at first round picks isolated from other rounds. Especially during a ten year period when one was killed and one was forced to retire, two kids who looked great BTW.

The draft in hockey is a lottery to a big extent and many also have no perspective of what a good draft is. There can be like ten players in this league who scores a PPG, bu if a tenth overall pick forward doesn't score a PPG he is a bust almost.

Of course any of those drafts where we got multiple players like Hank, Staal, Callahan, Dubi, Sauer, Stepan, MDZ, Hagelin and co are great drafts. If you are getting a player like that evey year that really contributes you are doing a good job.

Like five players like that in five years, like say from the age of 20-25, that's basically a backbone of a team.

Still people complain on our drafts, unbelievable.

I also think Clarke is doing a good job. But his players have basically not even started to make it yet save for MDZ and Stepan. The rest o our almost entirely homegrown team was drafted before him.
Great post man.

The Rangers are going to sneak up and take a big wet bite out of this league. Three main reasons for that.

1) Drafting/Scouting. A lot of credit should go to Clark and Gorton as they are the stealth gems of this organization, but they have staffed up a solid scouting team. This allows the Rangers to cover all the bases: High Schools & Prep, Junior, NCAA, Europe, AHL, NHL. This is a big part of the reason players like Hagelin, Stralman, Bickel and Woywitka, Prust, Boyle have all contributed this season and previously.

2)Grooming prospects. If you were a prospect and Mark Messier and Adam Graves were standing in front of you, would you pay close attention to everything they said....?? Yes. Yes, I think you would. The University of Whales deserves a lot of credit as well.

3) Coaching and grooming at the NHL level. Not enough can be said about this. We ***** and moan about things like the PP, and rightly so. But Torts and Sully are doing a great job of showing these guys how to play the pro game and succeed.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote