View Single Post
Old
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Signing Marky: Disaster or brilliant, we'll see.

Campoli: No losses in trade, who cares.

Kaberle: No losses in trade, who cares. Except we would not have him if:

PG signed Wiz: THAT was a ****up. As time goes on, I think Wiz was a serious loss this year. Overpaid? Yes. But the guy would have made a huge diff to our PP, to this point, possibly a 6-8 point difference.

I'm not a PG hater, and the Bourque trade was very good. But man, he ****ed up on wiz.
Oh please. Not saying you would, but you know legions of fans would be griping right now about how overpaid he is and how terrible a signing it was. Hell there are even posters on the Habs board who hate the Plekanec signing! This reminds me of 2007 when we didn't sign Souray. There were those who thought we should've dealt him (even though it would've quit on a playoff push as Souray was on his way to 26 goals and a record for PP goals by a d-man) and those who believe we should've re-signed him. Despite one good year, his Edmonton tenure taught us that would've been a mistake. Wiz has done little in Columbus to make me truly regret letting him walk but the only difference this time around is that there's no Streit to fall back on as we did in 07-08 with the league's #1 PP and no Markov to feed pucks. Markov missed all but 7 games last year and yet with Weber, Subban and Wiz manning the point our PP was fine. This year, Markov is MIA and his knee may never be the same, Subban's one-timer has gone belly up and he's on pace for about 1/3 of last year's goal total and some of the forwards are slumping.

Plus the dumbass management keeps forcing Gomez or Darche out there and other vets when it's clear Desharnais, Pacioretty and Cole make the offense tick this year. Their ice time doesn't reflect they're a #1 line or PP unit up front because of an insane desire to spread around ice time to justify contracts. It makes sense they produce well since Desharnais is the team's best passer with Markov out (yes better than Gomez), Pacioretty has a good release and Cole goes to the dirty areas to score. We're not a good team this year but there are signs it could be just a one-year problem and maybe, just maybe the focus is now on building a big, strong team up front that's not boxed out to the perimeter or warded away from the front of the net. Despite being a midget, Gionta is also a guy the Habs have missed a lot since he's been injury-plagued. Unlike Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Cammy and Gomez, this guy actually goes to the net and defies his 5'7 frame. Desharnais reminds me of a playmaking version of Gionta.

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 01-27-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote