View Single Post
01-27-2012, 10:05 PM
vCash: 500
Good points.

Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
If we look at the team Finland had in Moscow as a whole, it's hard to put too much weight on one man's performance. Especially when he's 2nd in D-man points in all of KHL. Yeah, that's what he's been doing.
Well, Mäenpää was the captain so maybe we should? IIRC, he lost his man many times and was heavily criticized by Canal's studio. Especially Mika Kortelainen.

I don't think you should put too much weight on numbers though. Mikko Lehtonen was of fire last year in Elitserien. He was scoring goals left and right. But he sucked at EHT and that was it. Same can happen to Mäenpää. Let's wait and see.

Currently we have three puck-moving d-men who take preference over everyone else: Timonen, Pitkänen and Niskala (I haven't forgotten about Salo, but something tells me his NT days are over). Unless we have all of those available, it's down to likes of Mäenpää, Nummelin, Karalahti and such. Okay, perhaps Vatanen fits somewhere between these two groups.
In Jalonen's system, you need 4 PP defensemen and 4 PK defensemen. Mäenpää is an offensive dman, there's no question about that. Right now (IMO) Vatanen and Niskala are the best finnish (offensive) dmen in Europe. Two spots left, right? Then there's Anssi Salmela, a world champion. I find it very unlikely that Jalonen would select Mäenpää over Salmela. There's one spot left and Mäenpää has to compete against guys like Heikkinen & Kousa, who were clearly better in Moscow. Then there's wildcards like Nummelin and Pitkänen, so it doesn't look very good for Mäenpää.