View Single Post
Old
01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
I like the deal, although I don't think the canucks could get Weinhandl for that cheap - basically dropping a couple of rounds for him, while already having an extra 2nd round pick anyways.

The canucks really need to do something though... although I would hope that whatever assets they have to use, they improve their defense first.

As for Carter, I'm one who believes he's gone after this season. He signed in Vancouver because he knew he'd have a good opportunity here - playing with the Sedins, everyone knows you can rack up points just floating around... for Carter, coming off a disappointing season, he signed a 1-yr deal to improve his stock. In Vancouver, they can't afford to sign him to a long term deal at $$ he would want to sign long term. He's here for a year, improve his stock and then gone. I would guess the same for Park... in fact I think this will be a common strategy used by many players in the new NHL - improve your market value on a team where you get a shot to play a role which helps your negotiating leverage and then bolt after getting that leverage. For teams, they can get a guy in cheap, who can provide more than the money he is making for a year. Works well both ways IMO.

Next season, you're likely to see one of those spots filled in from within (King?) and the other given to the another Carter-type UFA - a guy going through a disappointing season this year, who could sign for cheap to play in a top 6 role to improve his stock - on a 1yr deal.