View Single Post
Old
01-28-2012, 04:39 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
A name to bring up is Chris Phillips. Hickey could still become a Phillips at the NHL level. But at the same time, getting a Chris Phillips with a top 5 pick is still a bad pick

Depends on the draft year IMO. Overall, Phillips as a top 5 is a bit of a let down (though a 1,000+ game player is hard to call a disappointment) but in 1996 it was a brutal year. Consider this for a second, of the 26 players picked in the first round of the 1996 draft, Phillips ranks seventh in career points. A guy who has never reached 30 points in a season in his career is 7th. He is just 10 points behind Marty Reasoner for 6th.

When a purely defensive defenseman ranks 7th in scoring it shows how bad that draft year was. 11 of the 26 players taking never played 100 career NHL games. I don't count anyone outside the first round since they wouldn't have been higher than Phillips on anyone draft rankings anyways and really aren't comparible in terms of where a guy was drafted.

So in 1996, Phillips wasn't much of a disappointment in terms of draft placement and of anyone selected in the top 12 picks, I'd say Phillips was the best player in the end.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote