View Single Post
Old
01-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
There is no denying that if you eliminate all the unilingual anglophones, you have drastically reduce the pool of candidates, and there is a chance you may have eliminated the best candidate for the job without even giving him a fair chance.

This is just basic logic.
Your basic logic hasn't translated into reality because a lot of the best coaches speak french.

Not only that, but the habs have shown that they will put an unilingual anglophone coach in place by replacing Martin with an average coach like Cunneyworth.

In truth...

1) We aren't even sure if the habs see speaking french as a requirement. It's only a consideration from EVERYTHING I've seen, and as such, no unilingual anglo have been eliminated yet.
2) Even if it were so, there's a pretty huge pool of french speaking coaches to choose from. And hiring french speaking coaches hasn't hindered us in the past in any way shape or form.

I think you'd find the francophone speaking medias/fans a lot more inclined to accept an unilingual coach if he was indeed the best candidate. If you believe RC to be that man you're hopeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Right now I really don't have a problem with having to have a bilingual coach btw. I see no reason not to do this. We aren't winning anyway and there are enough qualified guys out there that we can search through to handle the job.

As for the GM, well that's another story... much smaller pool to pick from. The guy they hire should be willing to learn French (or at least try) but we shouldn't limit it to somebody who knows the language already. That's the position we really need to worry about.

If we ever manage to build a contending team and we suddenly need to get a coach and a Mike Babcock is available, I thik there will be much less of a hoopla over things. It's one thing to get the best coach out there when you have a great team, it's a whole other ball of wax when you hire some rookie anglo with a terrible club. The reaction was entirely predictable even if it was way over the top. This is just common sense stuff.
Et voila. This is really the crux of the issue right there.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote