Old
01-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Detroit, Michigan.

2nd highest violent crime rate in the United States.

GM -- Ken Holland
Coach -- Mike Babcock

UFA's sign in Detroit if Ken Holland thinks that they are players who can succeed in their system.

Again, the reason that UFA's shy away from Montreal is not the language, the media or the fans.

No, the reason UFA's shy away from Montreal is Gainey/Gauthier's idea about how the game of hockey is played in Montreal.

Nothing more , nothing less.
True, but I think another major factor is that the team's survival has hinged on the necessity for getting free agents to COME to Montreal. When it came to entering into discussions with good players that the team developed (Koivu, Markov, Plekanec) it would seem that signing the player is not that difficult. Getting players to come work for the circus is a lot harder than signing players that grew up at the circus. The key for success is for the circus to develop more talent.

I've always said if the team drafts and develops some a-class elite players almost all troubles will go away. You can focus on treating those players well, making them a priority, and snap the other pieces around them to get where you want to go.

When your development program (and policies about dealing with/trading away youth) is working well harvesting and retaining great players is easy. It's when you need to sign 2-5 players as UFA's to stay competitive that you get into problems. The market is weak.

When you develop your own talent your organization also develop loyalty, and that's the key to success.

I think this team needs it's Blackhawk or Oiler moment where it has a group of great players growing together within the organization at the same time. If they're treated well they will easily be retained and free agency becomes less vital

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote