View Single Post
Old
01-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Janney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Thanks for that. Reviewing The Bends. The problem is that I have to do that as if it's 1995 and compare it to other stuff that was released as well, so I gotta do more research.
Sounds like a weird project. With this album going track-by-track will be too long, you would be better off lumping tracks together based on mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I want to take issue with this. Thesauruses are a writer's worst enemy. It's far too easy to end up picking a word that doesn't really fit the situation because Thesauruses will not give you the context of their assortment of synonyms. I'm a big believer that you should only vary the vocabulary in your writing as far as you are able to accomplish on your own.

I have seen a ton of perfectly capable writers shoot themselves in the foot by leaning on a thesaurus.
I'm with you, thesauruses won't help a real writer, but when you have to express your opinion in a short concise manner, you have to rely on buzz words to try to make the review sound interesting. The quickest way is to use a thesaurus and half a brain when determining the context of that word.