View Single Post
Old
01-06-2006, 02:49 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to reidy
Well, I've followed his career pretty closely, ever since he was making waves at St. Sebastians Prep School in 2002 (had something like 7 Division I players).

I've caught 2 BC games thus far, and will see him again 1 week from Saturday. I've also seen him play 7 or 8 times since he's been at BC. What I've noticed;

He's improved a lot since his freshman season. He was obviously very raw when he was drafted NHL-wise, and when he went to BC, I don't think he was ready to play even at that level. He was probably 6'6, 215-220 lbs his freshman year, and now he looks to be at least 6'7 and 245+. Last year, he scored 27 points in 40 games for a very talented Eagles team, and has taken on a larger role this season, scoring 16 points in 16 games. He's steadily improved his point output in his time at the heights.

Talent-wise, there's A LOT to work with;

Obviously, his size. I can't stress enough how ENORMOUS this guy really is. He's also playing bigger, too. As a freshman, and at times as a sophomore, he could have been classified as "soft" (generally speaking, it's hard to call someone that big "soft"). But this season, his game has taken on a much more "powerful" label. I don't think he'll ever be confused with Todd Bertuzzi, but for those who have compared him to a Keith Primeau-type player, I think they'd be pretty close.

He's a very good skater, contray to what I've read. Long, smooth strides.

Good set of hands, very long reach, knows how to protect the puck.

His play-making ability leaves a bit to be desired at this point. He can put the puck in the net, though.

He has a booming shot. I remember watching BC play Maine last year at BC, and Boyle came over the blue-line and absolutely ripped a slapshot right over Jimmy Howard's shoulder off the cross-bar and out of play. I don't think Howard moved.

All-in-all, he's improved as a player over the last 2+ seasons, and there's no reason to think he won't continue. I really see him playing in the NHL, probably as a 3rd-line center, maybe even 2nd. He's good.