Thread: Value of: Marc Staal
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

vCash: 500
The OP was in response to a half hearted proposal I made in the GLeason signing thread.

Seems the Gleason NTC doesn't kick in till the contract ext actually starts in July.

Gleason + Ruutu

for

Marc Staal.

Seems like equal value. Not to far of a downgrade on D + the LW top 6 depth we lack with a touch of toughness mixed in on both positions heading into the playoffs.

here is my post from the other thread:
Quote:
I cant speak for other NYR fans but I just floated it out there for ha ha's

Considering McDonagh has shown to be almost as good as Staal is defensively and ahead of Staal offensivly in only his 2nd year. Then you have Girardi cementing his place as a reliable defensive D-man with a touch of offense himself. Then we have MDZ a our 1 NHL PMD within the identified "core" players & Erixon who is a ppg AHL Dman who is expected to contribute full time NHL by next season, Sauer who is iffy health wise but a defensive stalwart with toughness, & his eventual replacement in McIlrath who NYR brass is very high on right now believing he is right on path to where they expected him to be. It wouldn't hurt in my eyes to swap Staal for Gleason and upgrade or LW top 6 depth for a run at the cup this year.

I'm not in a rush to off load Staal at all, just looking at it from a "asset" value standpoint.

Staal is a great player for us but our depth is pretty good and Gleason isn't a major step down and our current D got us into 1st place without Staal contributing this year.

Ruuttu + Gleason may be a bit of an overpayment for Staal but the 2 Dman contracts match up and Staal + Staal in CAR is a very attractive marketing tool and who knows what chemistry the two can have together.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote