Thread: Value of: James Neal
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Honour Over Glory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosberry87 View Post
If I'm Shero I move extra salary if I have to to accommodate him. That includes moving Martin or Michalek, especially with Despres and Morrow waiting in the wings.
Morrow isn't even in the AHL yet, having a good camp doesn't mean he'll do it again and suddenly replace 2 veterans. Despres could have a spot on the 3rd pairing but then again, it's something I would rather let players battle out in camp next year (Strait & Bortuzzo say hi). Losing Martin or Michalek would hurt the blue-line. People don't understand it yet because they just want that cap space back but having them in the line-up makes the Penguins stronger. Could Morrow and Despres be better? Eventually, but that's not the situation right now. 1 making the team would be fine, 2 rookies making the team wouldn't, this is a contender team still.

Let's say James Neal signs for 4.5m/yr for 5yrs, that fits under the cap, even 5m does.

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($4.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
/ Joe Vitale ($0.530m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)

DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.566m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,887,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $4,412,833
Just toyed around on Capgeek, if anything, the Pens have some cap to spend if the cap doesn't go up. About 600-700k for a back-up, another 600-750k to either re-sign Asham or bring in another 4th line grinder and that leaves the team something around 2m and some change (leaving some space under the cap) to sign a project winger for the top 6 instead of keeping Asham and just shuffling things around, or whatever. Those lines mean nothing by the way, it's just how I had it after getting Sid, Geno, Staal and Vitale down the middle.

Yes this means good bye to Niskanen (RFA) and Johnson (UFA). I like Niskanen, but with the cap situation, I don't see a way to keep the guy which really sucks because I think he's back on track with his development.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote