View Single Post
Old
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
1) Not re-signing Hamrlik (even though he wanted the third year as well) and letting him walk for nothing, he was the shutdown defenseman in Montreal for the last 4 seasons and was able to shutdown Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Malkin and Crosy in 2009/2010.
I don't have any issue with this one. He gave the ice time to Diaz, Emelin, and Weber. At some point you need to give youth a chance.

Quote:
2) Not having the guts to buy out, trade or send Gomez to the minors after a pathetic season last year and showing the team and hockey world that having less than 40 points in a season while make over $7,000,000.00 is acceptable.
He inherited Gainey's mess on this one. No GM would give him anything of value. I think you give Gomez a shot and if he fails to deliver than maybe you bury him. The way it worked out Gomez got injured and his salary has been pretty much a non-issue as a result. He seems to be playing better with Bourque and Pleks. Hard to fault Gauthier on this one.

Quote:
3) Not re-inforcing the defense in October when he knew Markov would not start the season or play for at least a month or two, at that point he should of dealt a young player or draft pick for a proven defenseman that can play on the top 3 with Gorges and Subban.
Perhaps Montreal's medical staff should take the blame and not Gauthier. Sounds like he thought it was a short term issue. He picked up Campoli for nothing and later grabbed Kaberle when it looked more serious. Both were good acquisitions considering what we payed.

In the end, I think Montreal Media is really stoking the fires. Gauthier has done fine and everyone just needs to take it down a notch or two

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote