Old
01-31-2012, 06:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Seattle was having trouble supporting the Supersonics...wouldn't hockey be less popular than basketball there?
It's a bit long (that's what she said), but I honestly suggest anyone that's remotely interested in the business/political side of sports to watch Sonicsgate. Just a downright fantastic documentary about how Seattle lost the Sonics, how the NBA and Bennett had no intention of ever keeping the team there and how they wanted to use the city as an example to show that they wouldn't tolerate older arenas, and how horrible of a job the municipal government did in trying to protect the team.

I don't even like the NBA, but that video alone guaranteed that I'll always root against the Thunder so long as they have their current ownership. It's one thing for a franchise to be lost because of an antagonistic relationship with the locals or because of just a bad business model/economy, but it's entirely different what happened with the Sonics. It was nothing more less then league and ownership collaboration to steal a team from their market.

The whole thing's on YouTube, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Seattle is bigger than Vancouver and an actual sports town unlike Vancouver.
Ah, took one full page before the first flame was thrown.

Well done, BoH!