View Single Post
Old
01-31-2012, 06:01 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
With the way he has developed, I don't know how anyone can be too optimistic about his development. I don't care that he has been injured and that the Kings have a lot of depth, he hasn't really developed at all since he was drafted.

I don't see how the pick can be rationalized now. It was a very questionable pick at the time (and given where McKenzie had Hickey ranked, I would gladly bet that most NHL teams didn't think of him as a top 5 pick), and at this point, and the guy who most expected the Kings to pick at the time (Alzner) has turned out to be a much better player.
He's improved every season. He was a PPG in his first 7 AHL games, all of which were playoff games. Hextall said this about him after his 2nd injury...

Hickey was hurt for a long stretch this year, and he had a bit of a rough start to the year. He got hurt for quite a long period of time, but he started playing in Game 3 and he played extremely well. He had a real presence with the puck. He ran our power play and, quite frankly, after he had only played four or five games in 4 1/2 months, he shocked me with the type of poise and confidence that he came in with. In Game 6, he was outstanding. He wanted the puck the whole night against Hershey. He ran our power play and did a real good job.

Then last year he struggled a bit but this year he's been much better and put up solid offensive numbers considering Manchester's brutal offensive ability. He'd likely be a 40+ pt. defenseman on a halfway decent offensive team. Doubtful Lombardi and staff have given up on the kid and I bet they have turned down offers for him.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote