Thread: Weber
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I like Weber and want him to succeed, but how much patience is too much? He's had all last year and all this year to secure a spot on our blueline and hasn't been able to do it, and it's not like he hasn't gotten a fair chance. It seems like every time he starts to look like he's grabbed a spot, he falters.
go look at Dan Boyle's progression...

5 years as a pro before he established himself with greater minutes/role on his team, and this with a pretty bad lightning team.

I said it before, I'll say it again, Weber's got all the tools & the attitude/work ethic to develop into a very good top-4 pmd NHL player.

He needs time & opportunity to master how to best uses his skill set effectively as an NHL dman.

positioning, defensive zone coverage and perhaps most importantly, how to use speed/quickness/stickwork/angles are all elements he needs to develop to deal with bigger & stronger skilled forwards.

very rare for smallish dmen to develop those skills/adapt to NHL size/strength quickly, but once he does, his overall skill set is strong enough, imo, to realistically believe he'll become a very effective point producing player that can handle ~20min/game.

given our current situation, its crazy to think he is at fault for our lack of success, and if anything, being a non-playoff team should be the best situation for him... IF the team finally concedes that playoffs are a pipe dream and start to focus more actively on player development.

Weber will be a very good nhler, question is just wether he does it for us or for another team. at this point, his value is likely pretty low, so trading him just because he hasn't established himself fully after <90 NHL games would be a huge mistake.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote