Thread: Fla-SJ Proposal
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Sharksurfer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year of the Shark!!!
I may be undervalueing Bouwmeester but I am basing my proposal on the 7-8 games I have seen from the Panthers this season. In those games that I have seen him play, he was anywhere from decent to awful and nowhere near that "franchise" player he was supposed to be.
That may not be fair from me judging him on only those handful of games but his stats are telling me a different story. I also took a look at his AHL stats from last season and they were laughable for a player of his calibre.
I hope I'm wrong but see him becoming another Brad Stuart, great potential who nevr lives up to it. However, look at Stuart now in Boston, he seems to have found his game again.
Finally, if he is worth as much as Florida fans say he is then the Sharks best offer for him would be

McCauley, Davison and a 1st rounder, though, personally, I think that is an overpayment for a player who hasn't proven anything yet
to demand a Marleau like player in retrurn.
I don't think Bouwmeester is necessarily a 'franchise defenseman' in the meaning of a future Norris winner. He may reach that potential, he may not, but, having said that, he's big and extremely mobile, and is currently, at age 22, Florida's #1 defenseman (mostly out of need). He should, at the very least, be a top-pairing defenseman for the next decade. That is quite an asset, and, considering his age, Florida would need a lot in return for him.

While he would make a nice addition to the Sharks (or any other team in the league), the price that would have to be paid is huge. The Sharks biggest weakness at the moment is inexperience on the blueline (they're suiting up 5 first and second year defensemen a night), and the 22-year-old Bouwmeester doesn't remedy that.