Old
11-09-2003, 02:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Im appreciate your opinon, SBOB. I know it's hard to judge him, after only seeing him play once. He's a type of defenseman we haven't had since Mark Howe, not taking anything away from what Eric D. has done for us. Joni has said, his idol growing up was Leetch, and that's who most compare him to. He has jumped into the play more than any Flyer d-man I've seen, sice Howe. He has helped elevate our PP, to respectability. I know 10-11 games is still very early in his rookie season, but I posed this to your board, to get an un-biased opinion. You know how the local media can make him the 2nd coming of god, so I look for others views of him.
Personally, I think Clarkie deserves big praise for making the trade w/ Tampa, for 4th overall pick, to get Joni. I bash Clarke as much as anyone else, but he pulled off an awesome move this time!

I agree that he is a player that the Flyers have needed for a long time now. Desjardin is a decent player (never one of my favorites) but he was/is not the big puck rusher that the Flyers need.

I also need to see Pitkannen play defense more before I can truly formulate an opinion. I have long maintained that Leetch is amazingly underrated defensively and have seen him kill penalties almost single handedly. Not sure if Pitkannen is that type or player or if he will become that kind of player.

Overall, it was a great trade. I'm not going to second guess the Bure deal but Clarke did make a good trade. And he is a good player. Personally, if I was a Flyer fan, I would be happy if he became the first Joni Pitakkanen if not the next Leetch.