View Single Post
Old
01-07-2006, 11:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
The only trade deadline move that I can think of for the Flyers is the following:

1) Some secondary scoring to take the pressure off the Forsberg line. It's a luxury to have Forsberg and Gagne tearing up the league as the best duo in the game right now. However, after that, we have very little in terms of offense. Yes, Handzus is a great complimentary player, but we need offense. The Flyers pretty much go as far as Gagne and Forsberg carry them. If they aren't scoring, we aren't winning.

2) A top 6 defenseman. Another defenseman you may ask? Well, we have five good defensemen: Pitkanen, Desjardins, Hatcher, Rathje and Meyer. We're currently giving Therien 15 minutes a night of ice time. Under no circumstances should he be getting that much, if any, time at all. We need to keep him off the ice. I know that if Seidenberg comes back healthy that's number six, but someone like Eric Weinrich would be a great addition to the back end and can really help out in terms of Meyer's development. Preferably, I'd like to see Weinrich play with Pitkanen so we can let the reins loose on Joni and we can then pair Meyer with someone like Hatcher or Rathje.

We have stockpiled a good amount of draft picks, so it shouldn't be too much for us to make a move. However, I'd be reluctant to part with a first round pick or any of our young talent (Carter, Richards, Umberger, Downie, Eager, Pitkanen, etc.....) for a rental player or someone in their 30s.

Of course, once the trade deadline rolls around, it should be a clear indication of who is and isn't going to make the playoffs. By then, we might be able to steal a player or two for minimal amounts.