View Single Post
Old
02-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
While Parise will probably end the season with Jersey and can be had for free, who on God's green earth thinks he'd come out here to the West?

Carter might be worth the gamble.

Fact: The LA Kings need scoring help.
That's exactly what some of us are thinking. While anyone here would take Parise over Carter any day of the week, let's step back and think about the possibility of signing Parise.
  • The Kings will have to spend upwards of $7M on a contract that will at minimum be 7 years at length. I see a Kovalchuk like contract on the horizon for Parise.

• Since 2007, the Kings have failed to sign their prime targets in free agency and have been unable to match offers made by other clubs to the top free agent forwards.

• What happens if the Kings fail to sign Parise? The next best option after him is Semin and I don't think Lombardi likes him much. So who is Plan B then? Ray Whitney? There is an astronomic separation gap between the top free agent forward and the next best available option.
If the Kings miss out on signing Parise, they're going to repeat the same damn process that we've seen them go through every summer in signing leftovers. Very few free agent signings have worked out for the Kings, and the most successful signings thus far have been with defensemen: Rob Scuderi and Willie Mitchell.

Lombardi hasn't had much success landing any of the top free agent forwards. He's too prudent to hand out a ridiculous contract. At the very least, Carter's price tag gives Lombardi more cap flexibility and it is a reasonable price for a 30 goal, 60 point forward.

Those are the reasons why I think acquiring Carter would be a smart move for the Kings. Right now his value is at a low, so now is the time to strike. Carter would be LA's version of Bobby Ryan.