View Single Post
Old
01-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Pred303

vCash: 500
a few thoughts after the Chicago game;

..preds finish the first half of the season on a 110 point pace
..if before the season had started, and someone had told me at the mid point that perreault would have 3 more goals than kariya, and that upshall would have three more than walker, and smithson would have more goals than legwand...i'd have bet we were playing about .450-.500 hockey and been in about 11th in the west right now
..our first goal, sounded like a terrible pp, than the 4th line saves us by having a great forecheck going and creating the smithson goal
..to be honest, our pp sounded fairly weak all night. we had trouble getting the puck in the zone and getting set up. walker with no real pp time last night in his return. expect that to change by this week's games.
..mason getting the start surprised me with us having a back to back coming this week...first time trotz has done that this year, strating mason with vokoun healthy and it not being a back to back game..assume vokoun will go now TUE against NYI, but wonder if Mason will get the WED ATL start?..probably
..also surprised hartnell was in, upshall scratched for this one, after all the talk leading up to the game about harts and the doghouse. one thing that tells anyone that wondered is that as soon as stevenson and nichol are off the IR upshall is back to MIL.
..glennon mentioned that tootoo didn't have to clear waivers again this morning. but now he admits fiddler and smithson do after saying the same about them once last week. so i'm not sure he knows who is waiver eligible and who's not. therefore i don't trust the guy about that stuff. according to the old rules, tootoo would have to clear waivers that's all i know for sure.
..love the guy or hate him, perreault on a line with a healthy walker and sullivan will be an offensive asset going down the stretch. with walker out there all of a sudden you have a well rounded line. you have two guys with speed, you have two good defensive forwards to help cover for perreault, you have perreault who is our best sniper and in fact best finihser taking passes from those guys setting him up. this is our real first line.
..sounded like the kariya-erat-fiddler unit was the only one that didn't generate chances last night even strength. they only had three shots on net, and those came late in the third period.
..great to see hall actually get an even strength goal. that was only his second es all year of his 9 goals.
..last night sounded like a good example of how much more important it is to get quality scoring chances than it is to simply get shots on net. we seemed to bury at least half of the quality scoring chances we had on top of that.
..good to see mason back on track after the STL fiasco.
..we got beaten in the faceoff circle, but probably the most surprising stat there is that perreualt lost 5 of 7 draws last night, statistically his worst of the year.
..hamhuis was a +3 for the game, but was actually +4 until their goal, while aucoin was a -4 for them. ouch.
..glad to see sullivan score that penalty shot, that could be an important mental boost in a key spot down the road for us.
..thank god that CHI, CLB and STL are in our division this year. 10-0-1 against these guys, 16-12-2 against everyone else. and we have 13 more games against the 3 of them.
...i really hate the fact it looks like the hordichuk-smithson-tootoo line is going to be busted up soon. don't want to be a second guesser, but i'm not sure this will be smart.

funny, actually now with detroit's loss last night and our win, everything is just as it was prior to our loss to those guys. we have 6 games coming up, where we should have a good shot to win at least 5 of. we really need to get and stay hot right now for the next two weeks.