View Single Post
Old
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
He's another player that would take a slapshot in the face to score a goal. I think he would step in and wouldn't miss a beat on how we play. The problem is he is slow, but him on the powerplay makes up for his speed, I'd think.
I don't think anyone questions Prospal's heart, but he would not step in and not miss a beat with the NYR game. He doesn't have the speed to pressure players on the forecheck, he doesn't have the quickness to keep getting back along the boards to cycle and keep the puck low, constantly winning physical battles like our bottom 9 plays.

There's just nowhere to hide him:

(this is not only accounting for position, it's just replacing the weakest member of each line, or the one that would benefit the least with Prospal. Also demostrates the weakness of our LW position that it's always the LW being replaced)

Prospal - Stepan - Gaborik = no way Vinny has the gas left for this kind of workload, nevermind whether his game is there or not.

Prospal - Richards - Callahan = makes a great two way line with physical tenacious players (Dubi/Cally) on the wings, into an entirely mediocre line. Not quick enough for the transition hockey of Cally forcing turnovers, not able to help Cally pin teams deep on the forecheck, not helping Richards by being slow.

Prospal - Boyle - Prust = i guess replacing Fedotenko on this unit is where people want to see Prospal. (By people, I mean the one's that want Prospal, and aren't talking about overhauling all 4 lines to get production out of him). I think Feds' game is superior to Prospal's at this point in almost everyway. Boyle and Prust generate offensive mostly off Prust forcing a turnover, and Boyle grinding the play along the boards. I don't think Prust and Boyle are good enough to have Prospal just hanging out waiting to cash in a goal. Also Torts has a tendency to use this line against top untis when Cally, Richie, and DUbi are getting burnt up on a lot of special teams minutes. Prospal takes that option off the table.

Prospal - Anisimov - Mitchell = I don't think Rupp - AA - Mitchell is a well built 4th line, and seems temporary, as AA is going to need to be int he top 9 come playoff time. Doesn't matter, Prospal is not going to contribute with 4th line minutes. If the plan is stick him on the 4th line and then roll him out for PP's, well I just think his benefit to the PP is being over-estimated.