View Single Post
Old
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMckay View Post
Why should Noel be fired for trying something that may get two guys that are producing nothing right now to start producing offensively? Don't you think if Mittens of Fehr started producing and put up 8-10 pts in their next 20 games that that would help out the team? Both of them have shown in their careers to be able to produce decently, but for some reason aren't with the Jets.

Burmi only has 1pts in his last 12 games, even when he was playing top line minutes. He hasn't shown anything so far to prove that he even could outproduce Fehr or Mittens. Since Fehr has been back, Burmi has only put up 5 points in that entire time, while getting significantly more ice time.

While Mittens is decent defensively, Fehr is absolutely useless to the team if he isn't producing any offense. Burmi is very useful defensively, so Noel may be better off trying to get Fehr producing so he can add something to the team.

Note: I am in no way saying Fehr (or Mittens) are better than Burmi, I love Burmi. I'm just saying you are acting like Burmi is a huge offensive threat and Noel should be fired for even considering putting someone else on the PP or giving them opportunities. He isn't.
Not once did I ever say that Fehr and Mittens should not be playing over Burmi. I am all for giving guys chances if it's in the best interests of the TEAM.

What I AM saying is that if Noel is making these decisions based on giving guy "last chances" based on contract status/age/ANYTHING other than what he thinks will be best for the team to win games he should be fired. Noel is a smart hockey guy, so if he honestly thinks that right now Fehr is the best fit for the Antro line to help the Jets win hockey games, fine. But he if is only doing it to give Fehr one last tryout with the Jets, yes he should be fired. Right now Noel needs to be thinking what is best for the 2011-12 Winnipeg Jets getting to playoffs. His job is not to worry about contracts/ages and situations like that. His job is to win hockey games. The firing comment had nothing to do with them, it was about what you suggested Noel's motives are.

Now that being said, IF the Jets fall completely out of the playoff race, yes Noel should be coordinating with Chevy (who's job it is to think about contracts/ages/longterm plans) and giving certain guys chances, or seeing youngsters play more. But we are not at that point yet.