View Single Post
Old
02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Honestly I've never seen anyone say Benn is the next Modano. Unless they just mean face of the franchise, but no one has ever said Benn will have as great of a career as Mo, or be as good of a player.
I'll say it right now. Benn is the next Modano. I'm being 100% serious. I believe he is, and I won't apologize for it.

Here's something to think about:

OK, we all know Modano had some gaudy point totals early in his career. His 93 point season during the team's last year in Minnesota is often cited as example of his greatness. He was 22. No way Benn can match that at the same age, right?

Well, you've got to look at the context of the era. When was Modano scoring all those points? How was the game played? Those 93 points translated to a 1.13 points-per-game. Impressive, sure -- until you realize that wasn't even good enough to get in the Top-20 league-wide. Not really even that close. Brett Hull came in at #20 with 1.26 points-per-game. Modano wasn't in the top-20 if you just go by raw points either.

Fast-forward to the present day. Benn's also 22. He's been playing at his current level for about a year. It'd be hard to call this a hot streak or a blip on the radar. Right now he's sitting at 1.02 points-per-game this season. That's 11th best in the NHL.

So far, he's doing better compared to his peers, at the same age, in a climate that places much more emphasis on systems, checking, and defense.

And that's just points. Benn is already a far more advanced player defensively than Modano was.

Can he keep it up? That's always the question. If he can, he absolutely will have as great of a career as Modano -- and then some. Franchise players tend to come around every 20 years or so. He's right on time.