View Single Post
Old
02-03-2012, 07:56 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
But I don't get this reasoning. Why stop with Price? How many picks could a Pacioretty & Subban package garner? How much higher in the draft could the Habs trade up if Leblanc, Tinordi and Gallagher were on offer? In fact, because the 2013 draft is supposed to be deeper than the 2012 draft, maybe PG should trade all of his picks this year for picks next year.

I sort of get it if Price has a trade value that exceeds his on-ice value. So the Habs would better off minus Price but plus assets X and his replacement (whoever that is, whenever he is found). But that is just speculation. Although immune to counterarguments, it is vulnerable to counterspeculation. My turn: assets X are doomed to injury and/or failure, and Price's replacement represents the opportunity cost in trade assets or cap space that could have been used to acquire really good assets Y. Ergo, trade Price = bad.

In any event, this discussion has gotten philosophical. It's possible that a lunatic GM would offer a 1st overall pick and other assets for Price, and I guess I would confront the metaphysics of it all then, but in the meantime I wouldn't be looking to trade Price.
I stopped after your second sentence............