View Single Post
02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Never Ending Circles
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
What gets lost in a lot of these discussions is that "not as good as baseball stats" does not equal "worthless."

Also the a priori assumption that they are not good so you can dismiss them without even looking at them or making an attempt to understand what they are when they are brought up.
I didn't say they're useless, I just said I'm not a fan of them because they're not as perfect as their advocates seem to claim they are.

There's two sides to every story in hockey...whereas in baseball stats can be fairly black and white math whenever you can adjust for things (player A plays in a hitter friendly park and player B plays in a pitcher friendly park...we have the stats to adjust for them and neutralize hockey you can't really adjust for linemates/goaltenders faced/whatever nearly as well...and even on certain stats that some fans seem to love and others hate, such as faceoff zones, they generally have simple answers. When you have Jordan Staal on your roster he's going to take the bulk of the defensive zone faceoffs. That doesn't mean the other guys on the roster aren't good defensively or that Staal is bad offensively, it just says Staal plays a shutdown role...something that I think we all know by this point.).

I mean, baseball stats aren't perfect either...but as a zero-sum game they're closer to telling the whole story if you dig into things...that and adjusting for outside influences in hockey is next to impossible, but is just assumed in just about every baseball sabremetric stat. When a hockey equivalent of FIP or WAR comes around I will cry it's praises from the top of Mt. Sentinel. As it stands none of those exist...but grasping to the old standards isn't a great idea either. I mean, for what it's worth I think +/- is the worst stat in sports...and I'm including pitcher W-L record in there. Just about any sabremetric defensive stat is more credible than that.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 02-03-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote